Tuesday, May 30, 2006

playing tag with myself
13 stupid things about me

1. I'm the general manager at work, but I get very dirty each day.

2. During a business meeting with the GM's of sister companies and the owner, I once declined an offered raise by saying "I didn't want to lose my foodstamps."

3. I have a too-powerful Jacob's Ladder in my office. It generates dangerous levels of ozone and UV, but I turn it on every now and then because I think it's pretty. I spend the rest of the day with scratchy eyeballs and a headache.

4. I was deaf as a child, but can hear fine now (out of one ear.) I still hate to hear poetry spoken. It should be crystallized on the page and silent.

5. I love dashes - I use them every chance I get.

6. Nearly everything I own is homemade, including my air conditioning.

7. I attend church twice each week because it pleases my Methodist wife, but I'm an atheist.

8. I once gave an interview to a trade magazine and made the poor freelance writer read several of my poems. Then I asked her not to include any in the article.

9. I spent four years playing lead guitar for a successful country band, but I detest country music.

10. I left school after ninth grade and went to work full time. I started college six years later. To get a dorm room.

11. I reached puberty and joined the army in the same year.

12. I once joined an IQ society and quit when I realized I joined for stupid reasons.

13. My ex is one of my best friends, but she likes my wife more than she likes me. They sit side by side in church and pray for my salvation.

posted by Carl Bryant @ 9:53 AM   19 comments Literary Shirts

<< Return to Front of Carl's Tiny Brain

19 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Pris said...

I found your post on the plagiarism blog and your blog is delightful and funny! I'm going to add you as a link to my personal blog if you don't mind.


 

 

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

Thanks, Pris.

I hope you find the banner info useful. It's very similar to your existing banner, but isn't a graphic.

I'll link to your site, so visitors who pop here can get back to you without reaching all the way up for that back button. :)


 

 

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Yoly said...

Carl-

Great blog. Funny stuff.
I have to get out more often to visit the neighbors.
You write teriffic poems. I wonder why you don't post more at the Desert? Just asking.

Yoly


 

 

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

Taking time off to explore new styles of expression, Yoly. Once I've refined the voice I'm trying to hear, I'll return to active workshopping.

Thanks for liking my silly poems. It means a lot, especially coming from you.

I'm still DMR's chief cook, bottle washer, and assistant editor.

Tonight I'm putting together the site newsletter. Care to contribute? An essay, a letter to the editor - anything?


 

 

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Yoly said...

I would love to. Pitch me an idea?

Y


 

 

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

Lessee...

Last month, Charlene discussed the state of poetry.

What about discussing the state of formed poetry - particularly the sevenling? Or anything else that tickles your quill finger.


 

 

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Yoly said...

; )
Ok. Let me know when you need it.
Thank you, Carl.

Y


 

 

At 10:12 PM, Blogger lorguru said...

I love your list, Carl! Some of them really strike me...but I won't tell you which ones...yet. I'm going to wait a day or two and tell you the ones I remember. -laur


 

 

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

You are a funny, funny man.

Mwah!


 

 

At 6:36 AM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

Yoly -

Sarah needs another day to complete her interview with Meg Porter, so...

How about by Tomorrow at noon?

Bren -

Mwaah backatcha!


 

 

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

Just curious. Why did you stop at 13? :p


 

 

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Arlene said...

haha! hilarious list and blog, carl! i think i'd have done the same for foodstamps.

thanks for dropping by -- i've added you to my blog links ;)

arlene


 

 

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Yoly said...

Sorry, I got swamped with work.
i'll try and come up with something..Hopefully not too late but if it is maybe for the next go around?

Y


 

 

At 7:25 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

Whenever you like, Yoly.

There's never any pressure. Writing is fun! ;)


 

 

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL what a great list!

I was deaf as a child, but can hear fine now (out of one ear.) I still hate to hear poetry spoken. It should be crystallized on the page and silent.


--I was never deaf but I agree with this. I like poetry on the page. I do not understand it when i hear it, i have to read it first.

--please tell your wife and ex to pray for my salvation too.

you're a funny guy.


 

 

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

I'll mention the prayer request, but you realize if they keep at it you might end up in a nunnery?


 

 

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.


 

 

At 3:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.


 

 

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.


 

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to Front of Carl's Tiny Brain

Literary Shirts, Gifts