Thursday, June 22, 2006

Poetry Thursday
Well, it's poetry Thursday, and I must post a poem. Again.


Michi Gabriel says my next poem must be titled "The Brandenburg Nightmares, Part I: Watermelon Quickstep." I've been working on this now for several minutes, but a poem of such sweeping scope deserves at least a half-hour's effort.

Whilst you wait... here's another Frost-y poem from the archives:


The Pie Not Taken

Two pies seduced in a yellow fridge
And sorry I could not eat both
And be on Atkins, I stood a smidge
And looked down long on the crusty ridge
and gave foul Atkins a vile oath;

Then took one from the fridgidaire,
And meeting perhaps the diet claim
'Cause it was thinner, stuffed with pear;
Though as for that the syrup there
Had made them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
with crusts no knife had tried to hack.
I kept the peach for another day!
Yet knowing how children eat away,
I worried I'd not get that snack.

I shall be telling this with huge thigh
Covered with hungry grandkids hence:
Two pies seduced in a fridge, and I--
I ate the thin one - the tiny pie
first, and it made no difference.

posted by Carl Bryant @ 1:57 PM   7 comments Literary Shirts

<< Return to Front of Carl's Tiny Brain

7 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger michi said...

several minutes, carl? what, you mean without a break in between? i am sure that will give you another nightmare, brandenburgish (-burgian? -y?) or not.

*L* at the pie-em. :)

m


 

 

At 4:34 PM, Blogger writingblind said...

Mmmm.....pie.


 

 

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

This poem was my second-ever blog post. Sarah popped in to comment. I was thrilled. A comment! About a poem! On my blog!


 

 

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Arlene said...

now this is cool proof that you can have two pies and eat them both. RONF!!

a.


 

 

At 1:31 AM, Blogger SarahJane said...

i love this poem. it is best read out loud with a mouthful of pie.


 

 

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Rosemary said...

Oh, that pie! You're making me hungry, and it's too early to be thinking about mmmmmmmmm pie mmmmmmmm!!!

Voting 4U on BLOG VILLAGE


 

 

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

Thanks, folks!

I'm thinking of starting a "pie diet." I think it would be popular. A small pie for breakfast. Lick the pan for lunch, then a sensible pie for dinner.

Dessert contains all the calories. This way, you'd never be tempted to have dessert.


 

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to Front of Carl's Tiny Brain

Literary Shirts, Gifts