Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Why they call it Labor Day
The long, long, long weekend with the in-laws in Little Rock has ended.

They are all very nice, but absolutely no one there can be happy with a television channel for more than five seconds.

I watched a few seconds of everything on TV, then I went to the zoo.

My brother-in-law arranged a backstage visit with the keeper of the “large hoofed mammals.” I don’t know how he came to know her, but Arkansas is full of large hoofed mammals… particularly in the local Walmart. She must be a very busy woman.

The visit was interesting, but ultimately gross - like when my wife announces that she’s made chicken casserole for dinner… and I find out she’s replaced the chicken with bologna.

I suppose the kids had fun. A baby giraffe came up to take an apple from my niece’s hand, and we discovered that what we called “giraffe-spots” were actually called “sores.” There was a nice zoo anecdote about “troubles with the unloading chute.”

The kids were allowed to pet the rhinos, then they learned rhino stench is extremely difficult to wash from your hands.

Knowledge is power.

posted by Carl Bryant @ 6:49 PM   5 comments Literary Shirts

<< Return to Front of Carl's Tiny Brain

5 Comments:

At 4:25 AM, Blogger michi said...

ROFL. you are back. good.

no i am not going to pat you.

m


 

 

At 1:09 PM, Blogger lorguru said...

Rhino stench! They should have warned ya, huh?
So funny.
I'm feeling a little sick still from the thought of balogna casserole. Ew.
My best friend lives in Arkie. I love it!
(large hooved animals at wally world! lol!)
-laur


 

 

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Collin Kelley said...

LOL!


 

 

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

The zookeeper told me she normally has the young wannabees shoveling rhino poop when they first come calling.

She said it shows the zookeeper profession in a more realistic light, but I suspect it's about job security.

I guess I do that at work, too. I'm the only wastewater plant automation guru in the company... so the poop is all mine.

Gotta keep those bright young poop punks at bay.


 

 

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Charlene D. said...

And you gotta wonder exactly why your brain went from in-laws, to bologna, to sores, to stench...hmmm.

Keep 'em comin, Carl!


 

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to Front of Carl's Tiny Brain

Literary Shirts, Gifts